Brian was away last week, enjoying a “business” trip (yeah right) to Niagara where he worked very hard learning about wine making (and tasting a lot wine too). I wanted to build him a table for our large Big Green Egg while he was away, but of course I procrastinated and left it until the day he was coming back.
No problem, I had my plan all worked out and got up early (relatively early for me anyway) on Saturday morning at 08:00, headed out to buy some lumber and supplies, then came home and got ‘er done.
It took me about 4 hours to finish, but was actually pretty simple and didn’t take a lot of special tools.
I made the table out of construction lumber (spruce). I debated about using pressure treated wood, or cedar, or some other “nice” wood, but decided against it because they’re all a lot more expensive, and let’s face it… this thing is probably going to get pretty dirty and beat up, judging by the look of the wooden side tables that we have had on our Egg for about a year.
I figured it would be easiest if I made all my cuts and sorted my lumber into piles based on the size. That worked out well. I used two-by-fours for the frame of the table, and one-by-sixes for the decking on the top counter and bottom shelf. Here are the sizes of the boards I cut:
|A||2||58″||2×4||top shelf frame(long edge)|
|B||2||55″||2×4||bottom shelf frame (long edge)|
|C||14||22″||2×4||top and bottom shelf (short edges), inside supports, leg supports|
|E||5||60.5″||1×6||Top shelf decking|
|F||4||52″||1×6||Bottom shelf decking|
My strategy for assembling the table was to build the top counter, the bottom shelf, and the legs separately and then put them all together. Again, a good decision. Worked out very well. I used deck screws to fasten the pieces together.
For the top counter, I built a frame using two A and four C pieces. I used five E pieces for the decking, leaving no space between them. After assembling the whole top shelf, I cut out a 21″ circle in the centre of the square section.
For the bottom shelf, I built the frame using two B and six C pieces as follows. I used four F pieces for the decking, with equal spaces in between. The edges of the outside decking boards should align with the outside of the frame. Also make sure the outside C pieces are set 1.5 inches (or the thickness of a two by four) inside from the end of the B pieces.
Finally, I put the two legs together as follows. Each leg uses two D pieces and is supported by two C pieces outside of the D pieces at the bottom.
Once I had the top shelf, bottom shelf, and legs built, I assembled the pieces together as follows.
At this point, I had a working table! The only extra steps I took after that was to attach some caster wheels to the bottom of the legs at the outside corners. I bought 3 inch locking casters. If you use larger or smaller ones, adjust the height of the legs (D pieces) accordingly. Last step was to paint on a coat of water sealer to protect the wood. Good thing I did because we’ve had rain since and the water beaded up nicely on the table instead of penetrating the wood.
Here’s how the table looked when finished.
Very simple design, but it ended up looking pretty good, and is very stable. We had a huge wind storm the other day which blew the table across the yard and rolled it over a few times, and there’s no damage at all. Of course if we’d had the egg loaded into it at that time and engaged the caster locks, it would have been too heavy for the wind to blow over, but good to know it stands up to a beating!
So now Brian has his table. Next project is to build one for Darcy’s egg.