I have made Chicken Nachos a few different ways on the Big Green Egg. Sometimes I use chicken thighs like I did on this occasion, sometimes I have cooked a whole bird and chopped it up and made nachos with it. It really depends how many I’m making.
You will need:
- Chicken (whatever parts you prefer and as much as you like!)
- Your favorite spice rub (I used Cluck & Squeal Original for these)
- An onion (diced)
- A couple bell peppers (diced)
- Your favorite hot pepper (and as many as you like!)
- Your favorite cheese (or cheese blend)
- Your favorite spices… (I used some chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika on the veggies)
- Your favorite tortilla chip
I used chicken thighs but I didn’t want the skin, it adds nothing to nachos in my opinion, so I skinned them all first and then I dusted them with Original Cluck & Squeal. I cooked the chicken at about 375 direct on the Big Green Egg.
While the chicken was cooking I chopped up some onions and peppers do cook in the cast iron skillet, but I forgot to take pictures… here’s one from an earlier cook. It looked pretty much exactly like this only I chopped the veggies smaller. Then season this with whatever blend of tex-mex chili powder blends you prefer.
Next up was to build the nachos on the pizza peel while the Big Green Egg pizza stone heated up on the Egg:
I then transferred the nachos carefully onto the pizza stone and baked them at about 400 for 10-15 minutes
I served these up all nice like in a nice platter with guacamole, sour cream, salsa and hot sauce on the side, but forgot to get a picture because I had company over.