You can make this on the Egg or in the oven and it is a perfect side dish to a variety of barbecue staples!
I don’t always post exact recipes because that is not usually how I cook, but this time I have a close approximation (for the corn bread part… I eyeballed the peppers, onions and cheese). I got the base corn bread recipe from PattyO on the greeneggers.com forum quite a while back and have been playing around with it and came up with my version.
You will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk (whole or 3%)
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers (seeds removed if desired)
- 3ish cups grated sharp old cheddar cheese
- 1ish cup diced onion
- 2-3 slices bacon OR 1-2 tablespoons of butter OR 1-2 tablespoons of Avocado Oil (it’s healthier than bacon fat or butter and it has a neutral taste)
1. Preheat the Big Green Egg with an indirect baking setup or your oven to 375F.
2. In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
3. Beat the eggs and add to the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Mix by hand; do not use a mixer.
4. Cook bacon (optional) in 12″ cast iron skillet and remove when cooked (have as a snack) leaving the bacon drippings OR if you want to keep it vegetarian melt 2 tbsp of butter OR if you want it to be a bit healthier use 2 tbsp of Avocado Oil, then quickly cook the onions until soft and add jalapeno peppers to soften. When cooked remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and add to the batter along with about 2 cups of the cheese, reserving some for the top.
5. Pour the mixture into the now greased and warm 12″ cast iron skillet and bake for 25 minutes.
6. Remove from the Big Green Egg or oven and add remaining cheese to the top of the bread.
7. Return the pan to the Egg or oven for about 5-10 minutes for the cheese to melt
8. Transfer to serving dish and serve hot.
A well seasoned cast iron skillet helps with this.