Brisket (fail) #6


I debated about posting this one… but they can’t all be winners and this was another mediocre brisket attempt.

I do partly blame this one on the questionable cut of meat that I used. When I made Brisket #5 I picked up the brisket from Kelmar Meats, a local butcher who’s beef is always top notch! However, this one had in my freezer for a while and I got it from a different butcher shop in town that I have not had a lot of beef success with. Their other products have been great but as for beef, I am not sure where they get it, but in my personal experience, none of their beef cuts have been great. This one included. Since I am not out slag anyone, I am not going to say where I got this. Maybe I just have had bad luck.

Anyway, it started out with this over-trimmed hunk of brisket that I seasoned up with a BBQ rub and then let it sit in the fridge overnight.



This was only a 6 and half pound brisket, so by most calculations, 12 hours should be about the most it would need. I got up at 5 in the morning and got my XL Big Green Egg lit and stabilized at 225F using my DigiQ Pit Controller. I had also soaked some hickory chunks and Mesquite & Whisky Barrel wood chips in water overnight. I made a smoke pouch of the wood chips and put the chunks directly on the coals. I did this JUST before I was ready to put the brisket on. I have found that using a foil pouch for chips makes them last longer than putting chip directly on the coals. The chunks can go on directly though.


The thing I learned from Brisket #5 is that the radiant heat from the bottom of the plate setter had dried out the bottom of the last brisket, even though the rest of it was moist and tender, so this time I set the Egg up indirectly using the Plate Setter and then by putting a foil tray with some water directly under the meat to make a moisture barrier.


When the Egg was ready (about 6am) the brisket went on…



At about 3pm, I started to mop the brisket with a mop I made by bringing to a boil then simmering the following:

  • 1 bottle of beer (I used Anchor Brekle’s Brown Ale)
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp of dry rub
  • 2 tbsp of Worcestershire
  • 1 tbsp of Tabasco




I mopped the brisket about every 90 minutes after this to help keep it from drying out.

However this brisket was the craziest thing… I thought it had hit a plateau at about 165F because it then dropped in temperature to about 158F and then proceeded to bounce around between 163F and 168F for hours!!!! By 7pm and 13 hours it wasn’t even close, I think, about 175F and we needed 195F!!!

At this point I was fed up with it, I put it in another foil pan, dumped in one beer and covered it in foil. I then disconnected the DigiQ (except for the meat thermometer) and then I opened up the Egg to about 350F and let it braise in the beer for about 90 more minutes.

At this point I took it out and it was cooked but on the dry side. Definitely not my best!!!


So the lesson once again… if you are going to do brisket… make sure you get a quality cut of meat. In hindsight if we didn’t have company over, I would have just chopped this thing up and made chili out of it!

On the bright side, the mop was tasty!

Happy Egging!

4 thoughts on “Brisket (fail) #6”

    1. Well on the upside my Mop was the best one I’ve made!!! So even if the brisket sucked, the mop was good. I would do that again! Maybe Brisket #7 will be the charm!

        1. Yeah it was closer to the end of the Brisket #6 post. If you can’t get Anchor Brewing’s Brekle’s Brown where you are for the beer, just use any brown or amber ale.

Comments are closed.